Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Dream Tech-ed Out Classroom


If you were able to put anything into your classroom, what would you put in it? How would you set it up? Why did you choose the things you chose?



My quick draw dream classroom. As you may notice, I am a chemist. I split my room up into two sections. One for a full classroom setting, seen on the right, and the lab section, on the left. The full classroom setting would be great for classical lecturing but I primarily would use it for full classroom discussions. The tables would be set up in a U-shape in order to best facilitate dialogue around both classroom curriculum and topics of social justice. 

The left side of the room is where I expect to spend the most of the time. Ideally there would be more lab benches but my page is only so big. Each lab bench would have a group of 2-3 students. They would share and open bench, a computer, sink, and a hood. It believe it would be ideal to have a computer at each lab bench in order to input data and analyze it immediately.

I put in two machines for use. Both of which help determine atomic structure and have high analytical capabilities. These would be ideal to help characterize compounds during a lab. Yes, they would be highly expensive. 

The modern day technology I implemented were nothing new to a classroom. From this I noticed how limited my mind is on the uses of technology. Many things that came up in discussion that I never would have thought of. Some were simple things like making sure the tables are able to roll and reconfigure the classroom. Others were more complicated and futuristic like a hologram projector (Iron Man projection as partner called it).

I can only imagine if that were possible technology today. My classroom could hold full simulations of chemical reactions without the danger of it or the costliness of reagents and solutions. That would change the face of the chemistry curriculum. Obviously, that is not completely possible at this time.

I have plenty to learn about how to fully utilize technology to engage and motivate my students. I hope I stay open-minded to future options and will be able to stay on top of the technological revolution. Hold me to it!

5 comments:

  1. Vi I felt the exact same way! When hearing others ideas I felt like my mind was so limited to what technology I could have used! I loved hearing others ideas and especially about the projector but at the same time it made me feel as if I have so much to learn. I am excited to embark on this journey with you of learning/inventing new ways to bring technology into the classroom. I think it will be great fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vi I loved your classroom design. Although I am a not familiar in the science discipline as much as I should be I feel that you're classroom would be very helpful in aiding your lectures and creating an open classroom. I think it is also very important, as you said, to stay open minded to technology and on top of all technological innovations.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Vi! I especially love your idea of putting a computer station at each lab bench. I remember looking at my own data for high-school chem and thinking "Is this a 0 or a 6? What the heck is this column? Who MADE this?" Being able to input and process data in real time would have made life much, much easier. I also like your emphasis on a designated space for inclusive discussion.

    I feel like chemistry teachers have it tougher with classroom configuration than do humanities teachers and social-science teachers; having to incorporate immobile lab stations into your classroom design must make it a little trickier. I wonder what the most up-to-date classrooms have now by way of equipment and setup.

    I'm glad to be working with someone who's taking such an open-minded approach to classroom design, etc. -- see you Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Vi, I think that it's important for all of us to have an open mind--whether we were the ones who were more idealistic than realistic, who considered the distant future before facing the reality of our potential placements and time in the very near future. And, if we have an open mind, perhaps we, in turn, model that same sense of vision for our students. Who knows who the innovators of today and tomorrow will be?

    In addition, I won't speak for Shari, but she has been promoting advocacy among us. If you don't have something, but think that it's important, embrace that struggle, as Leah recently recounted. Her former AP Psychology teacher had to be innovative in order to get technology into the classroom--textbooks! Could you imagine how many people in this country would be disadvantaged without such "technology"? (Well, obviously, some still are, here and around the world, despite Gutenberg's invention.) How could some people function without their glasses? What would the world be like today without agriculture? Technology abounds.

    As for Chemistry, my father, a high school science teacher and adjunct professor with over forty years of practice, recently completed his EdD. And for his dissertation, he focused on technology in the classroom, specifically virtual labs. So, perhaps you forgo the Iron Man technology in favor of those online labs. If your students don't have access to computers, maybe there are apps available on their smartphones. Maybe, with the right guidance, motivation, and wherewithal, you (and/or they) could author an app. Or, maybe, you arrange for a student exchange with another high school, or university, or some other institution, that does have the resources.

    As for your own success as a teacher--no, for all of us to be successful teachers, let's dream big together, continue to learn, and be as caring and diligent as we possibly can be. We're no Ganstas. We're no Wankstas. We're Ridas!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Vi, as things unfold I would love to know more about the ways in which you're imagining making connection with your chem students to issues of social justice. I know that the links are there and it's really good to hear that this is a part of your agenda for teaching and learning.

    ReplyDelete