Saturday, November 9, 2013

MinecraftEdu

Do you all remember when Minecraft was all the rage? It was a simplistic game with low graphics, simple game play, and basic extras. When I first played Minecraft, I found myself in its survival mode where you had to find shelter by sundown to keep yourself away from the zombies and other monsters that lurk the night. I had to break dirt, wood, and turn to mining different minerals to advance my options and keep myself alive.

Shortly after that, the developers started to add more and more combinations of items to make new items. Using sandbox mode and an open source code, players soon came up with their mods and new game modes. The new items allowed for more and more elaborate game modes. I remember playing a game where you could gain levels for skills you used (various weapon use, acrobatics, etc.), there was an economy in the game, and you could make guilds to battle each other. All of which were added in a mod for the server. 

People have modded Minecraft in a similar fashion toward educational goals. The video below shows and excellent example of a Minecraft Roleplaying Game that is true to historical facts. Students would pay through the game which would be representative of historical cites and embark on quests that would have students learning about specific events.



Below is another example of a simulation. This time it is used for science to simulate sending a signal down a nerve. The players had to step on plates that would activate a light. The situations in which the light would turn on were changed to simulate various conditions such as not enough "neurotransmitters" and shortened open gates.




 I think it would be tough for many to get the handle of how the mechanics of Minecraft work. This is needed to monitor and troubleshoot problems that may arise in pre-made game templates. Although at this point in time, I was unable to find a large number of resources for using MinecraftEdu. Using this platform would put much responsibility on the teacher to be creative to create a simulation or a game that would fit into a lesson. I believe that the neurotransmitters simulation was something the teacher created on his own because of the isolated system that was so specialized.

Again, the programming that must be used is a completely new and different language that anyone has ever interacted with. The programmer must move and place items down to fit logic structures and other structures. I have seen people create working scientific calculators from a binary system which Minecraft can be used to simulate. As a side note, this would be an amazing tool to use in a programming class.

I think MinecraftEdu would make a teacher's job more fun. That is, after a few years when it seems that you are repeating the same material, activities, and jokes every year. This provides a route for teachers to get creative and truly engage their students. Given a few years into my teaching, I would love to try and program a few simulations for Chemistry. I am hesitant for Physics as the in game physics may not be representative. Anyway, this is a few years down the line. I'll make sure I come back to this.

3 comments:

  1. I remember Minecraft too Vi! In fact, last year I was a teachers aid in a local third grade classroom and was surprised to find out that all the kids loved playing Minecraft. I remember being introduced to the game in college thanks to a roommate, but I could never find time to play it for any length of time. The game offers great simulations that force the player to make smart, calculated decisions that I believe have a place in the classroom. I admire the fact that you want to use similar simulations in your chemistry classroom to enhance learning and creativity. I would love to create and use simulations in my future history classes as well to further engage my students. Maybe I could use Age of Empires or something.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are multiple games that are similar to Age of Empires that you may use. Civilization V is a game that is Real-Time or Turn Based Strategy game (it may have changed from the older versions) that builds in Historical characters and countries. I think I would prefer it to AoE as it walks through various different "Ages" of history. The player is allowed to use diplomacy and war tatics to advance themselves in technology. Every new development leads to future development etc.
      This was an interesting article on reddit last year that got a lot of press.
      http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/uxpil/ive_been_playing_the_same_game_of_civilization_ii/
      The player played Civ 2 for 10 years on and off being stuck at a nuclear stalemate as the player and the remaining AI sabotaged each other's road developments and expansions. No new technology could be made and no new resources could be found.
      Of course, you could also use the Minecraft RPG that I was talking about in my post as well! It might be cheaper to gain a classroom set of Minecraft than a class set of Civilization.

      Delete
  2. Vi! This may be the best post I have EVER encountered! My son would play Minecraft daily if I would allow it. I know he learns a lot from it but I never thought about using it as a tool to help him develop a deeper understanding of topics related to school. He currently is building a map of Michigan in Minecraft and labeling where all of the Native American tribes were located, something he is currently studying in 3rd grade Social Studies. I am sure he thanks you for this post :)

    I watched the neurotransmission video and then a few other vides that man had developed. Did you see the 3D animal cell he created!? It was unbelievable! I am so excited about the endless topics that could be covered or reviewed by using Minecraft!

    Great post!
    -Jeni

    ReplyDelete